VoIP Subscribers in the United States Now Number Over 20 Million
According to the FCC, there are now 21 million VoIP subscription in the United States, representing 13% of all the nation's wired voice connections. Notably, only 1% of these VoIP lines serve businesses - the remaining 99% of all VoIP connections are for residential accounts. On the other hand, 39% of all types of wired voice connections are business-owned copper wire accounts. With that many businesses still using copper-wire lines instead of VoIP, it looks like M5 has an enormous potential market of businesses looking to upgrade to tap!
Over 20 million VoIP subscribers in the United States
VoIP users take note—you now command a noticeable share of wireline telephone service in the United States. The Federal Communications Commission reports 21 million subscriptions to Voice over Internet Protocol accounts provided by companies like Vonage, as well as the telcos and cable providers.
These represented 13 percent of the nation's 162 million wired connections as of December 31, 2008. The overwhelming majority were residential. Only one percent of those VoIP lines served businesses.
But VoIP still represents a relatively small percentage of the total number of landline phone subscriptions. The majority are still of the traditional switched access variety, carried over copper wire systems—141 million of these, all told. They count for 87 percent of all the lines (48% residential; 39% business accounts).
Has VoIP use significantly expanded over the last few years? "Interconnected VoIP service represents an important and rapidly growing part of the U.S. voice service market," the agency's report says.
We're sure that's true, but the Commission's next survey will offer more details on this growth, because 2008 was the first year that the FCC required carriers to report detailed data on the service (the previous report hardly mentioned VoIP at all).
via Over 20 million VoIP subscribers in the United States. Posted by Matthew Lasar.