8 Big Questions to Ask Before Buying a New Phone System
Choosing a new phone system is a big decision and you want to get it right. The stakes are high as the wrong choice can stifle your company’s productivity, impede customer service and make a major dent in your bottom line. To make sure you have a thorough understanding of your communications needs, answer the following questions before you buy:
- What vendors and solutions do we currently have in place? Review current contracts and solutions. If you have onsite equipment, when are contracts set to expire? Where is your equipment in the depreciation cycle? Do any of your current systems have integration capabilities you’ll need to maintain or update?
- What are our current costs and what is our budget? Don’t forget to factor in ongoing costs such as upgrades and maintenance.
- How much are we expecting our business to change and/or grow? Do you need to plan for remote offices and/or a mobile workforce?
- Are we looking to change from a CapEx model to a monthly subscription OpEx model for any of our communications? For example, if you are planning remote offices and don’t have the IT staff to support them you might have the service managed from the cloud, or you may want to consider delivering communications applications from the cloud.
- What frustrations do we have with our current system? What aspects of it do we like? What features do we wish we had?
- How much fluctuation is there in our communications needs? Do you experience seasonality or spikes in your business that would be better handled in the cloud?
- Do we have specific compliance measures we must meet (e.g., PCI, HIPAA)? If so, what are they?
- What features are essentials for our business to have and why? Consider what makes sense for your business. Don’t get pressured into purchasing features you don’t need and/or that go beyond your budget.
Communications are the lifeblood of any business, which is why choosing the right vendor and system are critical. As you move through the buying process, look for providers who can give you the flexibility and functionality you need today, along with a system that will grow with your business in the future.
If you’re planning to update your business communications in the near future, download our free, interactive planning guide, “Countdown to Contract Expiration”. It can help you identify items on your to-do list and gain additional insights via resource links.